MERKUR SPIEL-ARENA Accessibility
The MERKUR SPIEL-ARENA is built to be barrier free: visitors with handicaps and/or limited mobility will enjoy an infrastructure tailored at all times to accommodate their needs. The following provides key details on notable aspects of your visit to an event at the MERKUR SPIEL-ARENA:
Arriving via underground (U-bahn)
Rheinbahn line U78 delivers event visitors to the MERKUR SPIEL-ARENA every five minutes during normal operations. The station is labelled as "MERKUR SPIEL-ARENA/Messe-Nord." Travel time between Düsseldorf central station and the arena's station is approx. 15 minutes. For many events, a public transportation ticket is included in the price of the admission ticket (indicated by a VRR logo on the ticket).
Each train platform has lifts leading directly to the flat area in front of the MERKUR SPIEL-ARENA. You are welcome to use the dedicated entry gate for mobility-restricted visitors at the south entrance, and from there onto the circumferential promenade. Automatic doors have been put in place to assist you.
Arriving by car
From the A44 motorway take exit AS 29 "Messe-Nord/Arena" directly to the MERKUR SPIEL-ARENA. Upon arrival at the MERKUR SPIEL-ARENA and exhibition grounds, drivers can follow the signs for car parks. The MERKUR SPIEL-ARENA car park includes dedicated spots for wheelchair users.
- Severely handicapped, wheelchair users and blind visitors with normal (non-VIP) tickets and a proper official document (blue wheelchair user or several handicapped ID with AG and BL symbols) will be escorted by the traffic stewards directly to special car park P2 next to the MERKUR SPIEL-ARENA. Qualified vehicles can park there at no charge.
- To receive a parking permit for the MERKUR SPIEL-ARENA car park, please download the following form. Please submit a filled-in copy of this form and a copy of your admission ticket for the wheelchair spots, as well as a copy of your wheelchair user ID by fax, post or as a scanned attachment to an email to info(at)merkur-spiel-arena.de. This process must be submitted at least seven working days prior to the event, as otherwise there may not be enough time for a parking permit to be processed and sent to you. Please note that we can only accept accreditations for concerts and shows. Accreditations for Fortuna Düsseldorf games are excluded.
- MERKUR SPIEL-ARENAcar park: Those in possession of a parking permit for P7 (MERKUR SPIEL-ARENA car park) should follow the signage for P7. The traffic stewards will then direct you to an appropriate spot. Important Note: A different regulation applies to Fortuna matches. You will find further information on this here.
Access to the MERKUR SPIEL-ARENA
- From the car park, you can enter via the north entrance to access the MERKUR SPIEL-ARENA's so-called accessibility route. From there you can access the upper promenade via the handicapped lift in central stairwell K8 or one of the two (switchback-style) ramp routes. These are located roughly halfway around the area, in front of the West grandstand or the Stadtsparkasse Düsseldorf grandstand. Automatic doors have been installed to make it easier to access the promenade.
Within the MERKUR SPIEL-ARENA
- The promenade features barrier-free toilets. These are located in the immediate vicinity of the platforms for mobility-restricted persons.
- Platforms for wheelchair users are located in the lower level. These are spread around blocks 1-8 of the West grandstand and between blocks 24-29 of the Ost-grandstand. Support persons for wheelchair users sit in the same block one row in front of the wheelchair user.
Handicapped persons in possession of a Eurokey can access the MERKUR SPIEL-ARENA's barrier-free toilets.
The "Euro"-style cylindrical lock and matching Eurokey were established in 1986 as a pan-European locking solution for handicapped-accessible facilities. They are now found almost everywhere in Germany, Austria and Switzerland. Anyone in possession of a Eurokey can access and use those facilities. This includes barrier-free toilets in cities, public buildings, train stations, motorway rest stops, universities, leisure parks and shopping centres.
You can apply for a Eurokey by following this link. You are required to present your handicapped ID and 18 euros as a fee.
Those who have forgotten their key are instructed to contact the ushers for access.
Back to visitor information